Old Spitalfield Market: Not so Old Part 2




Lunch Rush at Spitalfield  Market.

The thing to go to Spitalfield Market for is food. It is a food lover’s Mecca. There are plenty of nice restaurants surrounding the main hall, but we were excited to see the variety of international and unique food available in the little booths in the main hall. So last Saturday with only food on our minds we made our way back to the market.


This time the place was bustling. Last time it was so quiet. We were surprised that there were no jostling crowds. Maybe because that day was very hot? I enjoy watching people in any surroundings and being part of it all. This time around I was happy to see crowds enjoying food and shopping.

One thing is for sure, that you never need to explain vegetarianism in London. Vegetarian and vegan choices were available and prominently displayed on the menus everywhere. We had Turkish flat bread stuffed with spinach, potatoes and cheese and grilled tofu baos or steamed buns. Laughing Cow had set up a pop-up store to serve food made with their cheese free of charge. We sampled truffle macaroni and cheese and also cheese and potatoes balls. 


We walked around looking at the crafts displayed in lot of the booths and indulged in shopping. Of course, that was just to support the local craft makers! Some of the artists were not eager to get their or their creations’ pictures taken. I had to respect their wishes. So, no pictures of lovely crafts! Though it was great to talk with some of the artists about their crafts!

                                                     

Another of London’s iconic market conquered, thoroughly enjoyed, and silently promised to be back! Keep an eye on my posts. I am planning  to write about all the other London markets that I have seen and enjoyed.






Before I could publish this blog, as it so happened that we went to the Old Spitalfield Market again yesterday. The first thing we saw on our way there was a stand where three guys were selling fresh sugarcane juice! The minute I saw the sugarcane and sugarcane press, I knew I had to have some. My excitement at the thought of having my favorite childhood drink here in London was palpable. If only I could have multiple glasses of it! But at £5 per glass it was bit too much!


                                                  

I did not realize at first that this was the famous Petticoat Lane Market of London. This was the famous and the oldest Sunday Market in operation since 1750. My father had mentioned it a few times to me and had asked me if it still existed or not. I was excited to see it. We took a brief walk but we did not have time to explore it more.  I did put it down in my list of things to do in London.

                                                 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts